Monday, September 19, 2011

Surprise Post-Work Session to End The Summer

From Cape Cod to New York City this has been the worst summer in my memory for wind.  All of us wind-kooks have been going through phases of giving up all hope and going insane thinking its blowing 30knts whenever a truck goes by and blows around a nearby tree.  I don't think anyone saw it coming when a meager forecast turned into a great day on August 24th.  It was a great way to bid farewell to the east-coast and the sailors I have met while living in and around New York City before heading west for San Francisco.

The conditions weren't epic but it was a good day and despite it being a workday everyone seemed to make it out for a solid post-work sunset session.  I was a little underpowered on a 5.8 and 100L board at times but after sailing way out I got some sweet rides.  I unfortunately didn't start using the camera until after 2 hours of sailing at which point I will admit I was getting tired after sailing around Beach Island and finding some big breeze and small breaking waves.


Since the end of August I had to evacuate my apartment for Hurricane Irene and drove cross-country to San Francisco.  I promise to post some pics soon.  I am now back on the east-coast for work but hope to get back west soon. Fortunately, I was able to piece together a small quiver that  I can keep on the east coast so I don't miss any good days when I am back as I probably will be often.

2 comments:

  1. I've been casually tracking windsurfing conditions on Long Island since 1993. By far this has been the worst year in the last 18 for wind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really has been driving us insane. I was hoping to get out on Long Island for some sessions this fall but am going back to San Francisco full time starting in October, we have an open couch windsurfers welcome. I will still be back from time to time and have some gear stashed on the east coast.

    ReplyDelete